Membrana magazine (ISSN 2463-8501) is published biannually in the summer and winter. The magazine also has a Slovene language edition under the title Fotografija (ISSN 1408-3566). Accepted contributions are published in both English and Slovene language edition of the magazine.
Membrana magazine publishes essays, theoretical papers, overview articles as well as photographic projects. Each edition of the magazine has a thematic topic. A public call (available on magazine’s website) for textual and visual contributions is made for each edition of the magazine. A limited number of articles and visual contributions which fall outside of individual thematic topics will also be considered for publication.
Format of Contributions
- Essays, theoretical papers, overview articles, interviews (approx. 14.000 characters with spaces), visuals encouraged. Longer contributions, such as original scientific articles of up to 21.000 and 25.000 characters (with spaces) need to be negotiated with editors in advance.
- Non-academic short essays (approx. 6.000 characters with spaces).
- Photographic projects and artwork: proposals for non-commissioned work or samples of work.
Submitting to Membrana
Submission details for topical issues are available in each call. They typically require prospective authors to submit 150 word abstract. If positively reviewed by (guest) editor(s), the authors are invited to submit full papers for review.
To submit outside of thematic call and deadlines stipulated in the call, send a 150-word abstract to firstname.lastname@example.org. If positively reviewed by Membrana editors, the authors are invited to submit full papers for review.
Submission of photographic work should include short summary of the project (up to 150-words) and sample of photographic work (images or links to websites).
Membrana is dedicated to protection and implementation of academic standards of quality and ethical publishing. All submissions which fall within the category of scientific contributions undergo rigorous peer-review process. Essays in thematic topics are reviewed by guest editor(s) and/or Membrana editor(s) through a collaborative peer review process. Finished articles then undergo a double-blind peer review process. Essays submitted outside of thematic calls undergo a double-blind peer review process.
Instructions for authors
Accepted articles are published in the English edition – magazine Membrana (ISSN 2463-8501) as well as in the Slovenian edition – magazine Fotografija (ISSN 1408-3566).
- The article needs to follow Chicago (author-date) style. It can be found at: https://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide.html.
- The titles of the author’s works (such as books, artworks …) are in italics. The titles of articles are in “ ”.
- If you are using more than four references, include BibTeX, EndNote or RIS reference file.
- The article length should be discussed with the editors prior to sending.
- We appreciate more essayist style of writing instead of strict academic one but we do adhere to academic standards.
- We do encourage visual material to be published alongside the article.
- The article should be organized in meaningful, readable paragraphs.
- Please note that the author is responsible for clearing permissions for the use of images.
- Alongside the article send us:
- Abstract with keywords (1200 characters, 5 keywords).
- Short biography (900 characters).
- Images – as hires as possible. (In order for the Membrana team to be free in selecting the most appropriate layout.)
- The titles of the images with copyright line. (Titles need to correspond with image files names.)
- Your postal address for sending a copy of the magazine to.
We do reserve the right not to publish the final article if it does not follow our guidelines, and/or does not adhere to our publishing standards.
We do not take over the rights from the author apart from those relating to publishing it in the magazine and in the web e-edition of the magazine (these rights include the rights for translation to Slovenian language and rights for changes done through proofreading and editing in both languages). The author can re-publish the same article without restraints somewhere else with the specific mention of the magazine Membrana as the first publisher (with date and no. of the issue). We do ask if the authors do not share, disseminate or republish their article in two-year period from the publishing in Membrana magazine. Each author receives one copy of Membrana magazine and pdfs of the article in both – Slovenian and English language version.